Academic Advising is here to help you clarify and develop goals for your education, your career – and your life. You and your advisor will work together to create an educational plan that’s right for you. The CHHS Academic Advising Team’s mission is to empower and engage our students in their academic and personal development and in planning for timely degree completion, facilitating self-direction towards career success and life-long learning.
Advising is an ongoing relationship, a decision-making process and a shared responsibility. Advisors work collaboratively with you to:
- Develop an academic plan and goals
- Process requests for course drops, course withdrawals and university withdrawals
- Work intentionally with students to maintain good academic standing and financial eligibility
- Inform students about the admission process to graduate programs
- Process transfer credit requests and concurrent enrollment requests
- Advise for and make decisions regarding overloads and third attempts
- Review academic requirement reports
- Refer students to various campus resources or involvements
The CHHS Advising Team will be operating remotely this fall. To schedule a video chat or phone appointment with an advisor, please call 815-753-1891. Appointments will be scheduled Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and will be conducted through Microsoft Teams.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org and an advisor will respond to your email as soon as possible. Face-to-face appointment requests will be considered if needed but must be scheduled in advance.
Protecting the Pack
Our top priority at NIU is the health and well-being of our campus community. In response to the rapidly changing developments related to the COVID-19 pandemic, here's how we're Protecting the Pack.
Do you have a question about CHHS academic advising? Read the frequently asked questions.
College of Health and Human Sciences Advising
Wirtz Hall 227