Academic Advising: Frequently Asked Questions

Will an academic advisor be available to assist me during the fall 2020 term even though the office in Wirtz Hall 227 is currently closed?

Yes. Academic advisors are providing advising services remotely. We are offering modified advising opportunities which include video chat and phone appointments through Microsoft Teams. Face-to-face appointment requests will be considered in special circumstances but must be scheduled in advance.

How do I schedule an appointment?

Appointments for most undergraduate majors can be scheduled by calling 815-753-1891. For Public Health, junior and senior majors, please contact 815-753-1384.

Note: If no one is able to answer when you call, please be sure to leave a message with your name, ZID number, phone number, and the reason for your call. Someone will return your call as soon as possible during regular business hours. Because we are working remotely, when we return your call it may appear on your phone as either "restricted" or a (312) area code.

When can I schedule an academic advising appointment?

Advising appointments are generally scheduled Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and last approximately 30 minutes.

How do I participate in a virtual/video conference?

When you set up your appointment, you will receive an email link for a virtual video appointment through Microsoft Teams. All NIU students can access Microsoft Teams through Office 365. For more information on how to use Microsoft Teams.

How do I find out who my assigned advisor is?

Current students can find the name of their assigned advisor in the MyNIU, "self service quick links, student center" They can also call 815-753-1891 or email

Can I just email my advisor for an academic advising appointment?

At this time, we request that you schedule an appointment for advising by calling the phone number listed above for your major. In order to best support your academic advising needs it's important that appointments are conducted via video chat or phone through Microsoft Teams.

Appointments are required in the following instances:

  • Changing to or exploring one of our CHHS majors (If you are a current CHHS student wanting to change your major to something outside of our college, contact the Academic Advising office for the new major).
  • Planning a schedule for next semester
  • Academic probation
  • Several questions about your major or plan.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals for financial aid.
When is it appropriate to email my advisor or instead of scheduling an appointment?

Your advisor can assist you via email in the following circumstances (if you are a current student, be sure to use your NIU Z-ID student email account):

  • You want to drop or withdraw from a class (Be sure to pay attention to the deadlines for this that are listed in the Catalog's Academic Calendar).
  • You need help enrolling in a class (You must contact the NIU department offering the course first, and if they are unable to assist, then you should follow-up with your advisor for alternate solutions). For example, if the course is BIOS, contact the Biology department directly.
  • You are experiencing challenges and you need some advice on what to do or where to go for help. There are various NIU campus services available to you. However, please consider scheduling an appointment with your advisor as well. We care about you and are available to help as much as we can!
  • You have already met with your advisor who provided you with a plan for the term and you have follow-up questions.
  • You have simple questions relating to your current major (i.e. application information for our limited admissions programs, GPA Calculation assistance, student organization referrals, etc.).
  • You are considering making changes to your current plan that were not previously listed as options by your advisor.
  • You are interested in adding a minor in our college email
  • You want to take a class at another college or you have questions about transferring credits (See our transfer guides, senior/concurrent transfer permission form, and the 2020/21 financial aid consortium agreement form).
  • You are requesting third attempt permission for a course.
  • You are requesting overload permission (more than 18 credits).
  • You are planning to graduate in the upcoming term and would like an advisor to conduct a "graduation check." (See graduation ceremony/commencement information).
  • Your academic requirements report (ARR) in MyNIU says you are missing requirements that you thought you had already completed.
  • You need help with anything else related to advising not listed above.

Note: Advisors are prioritizing email responses in the order that they are received as efficiently as possible. Please be patient with us as we are doing the best we can to serve you. Typical response time is within three business days. If you need immediate assistance for a time-sensitive issue, please call 815-753-1891.