Kari Hickey Ph.D.
|Office Location:||Nursing 160|
- NURS 347 Concepts in Professional Nursing
- NURS 463 Practicum in Leadership and Population Focused Nursing
- NURS 704 Clinical Prevention in Advanced Nursing
- NURS 419 Population Focused Nursing
- Ph.D., Nursing, Illinois State University
- M.S., Nursing, Northern Illinois University
- BS, Nursing, Northern Illinois University
- Academic/Research Interestes
- Online nursing education best practices
- Facilitating RN-BS completion articulation and dual enrollment programs with community colleges
- Research with vulnerable populations including inmates, those in frequent contact with law enforcement, and parents whose child has made a suicide attempt
- 2018, Awarded Community Health Endowment Grant “Connecting Community Service Agencies to Improve Access to Behavioral Health Services”
- 2016, Awarded Sigma Theta Tau Beta Omega Chapter Grant “Survey of Concerns Most Important to Parents After Their Children’s Suicide Attempt: A Pilot Study”
- 2011, Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services (JPN) Article of the Year Award.
- Hickey, K., Rossetti, J., Oldenburg, N., Abendroth, M., Uhlken, C, Musker, K., Peters, B., & Paramore, P. (2017). Moving nursing program portfolio assessment from midterm to end of program: Lessons learned. Nurse Educator, 42(4), 172-175.
- Hickey, K., Rossetti, J., Strom, J., & Bryant, K. (2015). Issues most important to parents after their child's suicide attempt: A pilot Delphi study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 28, 157-164.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., & Kim, M., Schlenker, E. (2015). Behind bars: experiences conducting behavioral addictions research in a county jail. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 53(10), 60-64.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., Kim, M., & Schlenker, E. (2014). Gambling and perceived health among adult jail inmates. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 10(1), 36-43.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., Kim, M., Schlenker, E. (2014). Perceived health and gambling behavior of inmates: A review of the literature. Nursing Forum, 49(4), 247-58. DOI: 10.1111/nuf.12055
- Kerber, C.S., Hickey, K. H., Astroth, K. A., & Kim, M.J. (2012). Gambling behaviors and perceived health among incarcerated older adults. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 50(8), 32-39.
- Kerber, C.S., Schlenker, E., & Hickey, K. (2011). Does your older adult client have a gambling problem? Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 49(6), 38-43.