Kari Hickey Ph.D.
|Title:||Associate Professor/Director of Undergraduate Nursing Program|
|Office Location:||Nursing 160|
- NURS 347 Concepts in Professional Nursing
- NURS 463 Practicum in Leadership and Population Focused Nursing
- NURS 704 Clinical Prevention in Advanced Nursing
- NURS 419 Population Focused Nursing
Honors Faculty Fellow (2020-2021)
As an Honors Faculty Fellow, Professor Hickey will teach a seminar on Disparities in Criminal Justice, Addictions and Health with Professor Walther in spring 2021 in the University Honors Program. The Honors Faculty Fellowship program identifies faculty eager to teach innovative, exciting seminars of interest to highly-motivated students from across the university.
- Ph.D., Nursing, Illinois State University
- M.S., Nursing, Northern Illinois University
- B.S., Nursing, Northern Illinois University
- Online nursing education best practice
- Facilitating RN-BS completion articulation and dual enrollment programs with community colleges
- Research with vulnerable populations including inmates, those in frequent contact with law enforcement, and parents whose child has made a suicide attempt
- 2018, Awarded Community Health Endowment Grant "Connecting Community Service Agencies to Improve Access to Behavioral Health Services"
- 2016, Awarded Sigma Theta Tau Beta Omega Chapter Grant "Survey of Concerns Most Important to Parents After Their Children’s Suicide Attempt: A Pilot Study"
- 2011, Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services (JPN) Article of the Year Award.
- Hickey, K., Rossetti, J., Oldenburg, N., Abendroth, M., Uhlken, C, Musker, K., Peters, B., and Paramore, P. (2017). Moving nursing program portfolio assessment from midterm to end of program: Lessons learned. Nurse Educator, 42(4), 172-175.
- Hickey, K., Rossetti, J., Strom, J., and Bryant, K. (2015). Issues most important to parents after their child's suicide attempt: A pilot Delphi study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 28, 157-164.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., and Kim, M., Schlenker, E. (2015). Behind bars: experiences conducting behavioral addictions research in a county jail. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 53(10), 60-64.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., Kim, M., and Schlenker, E. (2014). Gambling and perceived health among adult jail inmates. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 10(1), 36-43.
- Hickey, K., Kerber, C., Astroth, K., Kim, M., Schlenker, E. (2014). Perceived health and gambling behavior of inmates: A review of the literature. Nursing Forum, 49(4), 247-58. DOI: 10.1111/nuf.12055
- Kerber, C.S., Hickey, K. H., Astroth, K. A., and Kim, M.J. (2012). Gambling behaviors and perceived health among incarcerated older adults. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 50(8), 32-39.
- Kerber, C.S., Schlenker, E., and Hickey, K. (2011). Does your older adult client have a gambling problem? Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 49(6), 38-43.