Communicative Disorders FAQ

Will I be a speech-language pathologist or audiologist after receiving my undergraduate degree in communicative disorders? No. You will need to meet additional educational requirements necessary to become an audiologist or speech-language pathologist. The undergraduate communicative disorders program provides basic information regarding communication development and disorders, hearing, disability and rehabilitation and prepares students for entering the Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) or the Master of Arts in Communicative Disorders program with a specialization in speech-language pathology. Both of these graduate programs are offered at Northern Illinois University.
Can I participate in research as an undergraduate at NIU? Yes. Undergraduates are welcome in all COMD faculty labs. Undergraduates are encouraged to contact faculty for information about opportunities. Summaries of faculty research interests are available.

Undergraduates in COMD complete honors capstone research projects, work on their own research projects, and assist with faculty research projects.  Find more information about other undergraduate research opportunities on campus and possible funding available through the University Honors Program and/or the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning.

Contact Us

School of Allied Health and Communicative Disorders
340 Wirtz Hall
DeKalb, IL 60115


Office Hours

Monday through Friday 8 a.m.–noon, and 1–4:30 p.m.