B.S. in Medical Laboratory Sciences Admission Information
The Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) is a competitive four-semester program. We accept qualified applicants based on comprehensive admission profiles which include grades on prerequisite courses and GPA.
There are two application deadlines: Febr.y 1 and May 1. You are encouraged to apply by Feb. 1. Additional applications may be considered after the May 1 deadline based upon space availability
If you have fewer than 24 college semester hours before February, you will apply as a freshman.
If you have more than 24 college semester hours and/or are transferring from another university or college:
- Apply to NIU; indicate MLS as your intended major
- Check to see what courses transfer.
- Once admitted to NIU, apply to the MLS program in a separate application.
You must have completed 11 of the MLS prerequisite courses with a 2.75 GPA in those courses and and 2.75 GPA or better overall by the MLS application deadline.
Current NIU Students
Current NIU students must submit an application to the MLS program, which includes a goals statement and a request for two references.
You must have completed at least 11 MLS prerequisite courses with a 2.75 GPA or better by the application deadline.
Admission is competitive and based primarily on your GPA in those prerequisite courses. It is also based on your overall GPA, number of prerequisite courses completed and an application review.
To be considered for admission to the Medical Laboratory Technician to Medical Laboratory Science Bachelor of Science Degree Completion program you must:
- Be admitted to NIU as a regular degree-seeking student
- Have an Associate of Applied Science or an Associate of Science Degree, and hold Medical Laboratory Technology certification and be a practicing MLT with at least one year of experience.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 in prerequisite courses and a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Submit an application to the MLS program, which includes a goals statement and a request for two references.
Contact UsMedical Laboratory Sciences
DuSable Hall 161
DeKalb, IL 60115