B.S. in Human Development and Family Sciences Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What happened to the family and child studies major?

Family and child studies changed to human development and family sciences beginning the fall semester 2017. If you started with a family and child studies major before fall 2017, your degree will be changed to human development and family sciences.

Can I graduate in four years?

Completion of the program in four years is possible if your general education requirements are completed at the end of your sophomore year and you apply to the department and are accepted during your sophomore year. We recommend checking in with your advisor every semester in order to stay on track.

Family Relations, Prevention and Wellness (FRPW)

Family Social Services (FSS)

What is family social services intern orientation day?

Held in mid to late September on a Thursday morning, the orientation day is primarily for students who will be finishing their degrees in family social services during the next calendar year. Twelve agencies send representatives who speak to students about jobs and internships. Students receive their application for their internships and information about upcoming required meetings.

Child Development (CD)

What are the differences among the three different areas of study within child development?

Each area of study provides a focus for certain positions. The coursework helps prepare for certain career paths and different entries into credentialing for early childhood roles. All child development students will gain practical experience working with children in the NIU Child Development and Family Center which is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), also is a Gold Circle center by IL ExceleRate.

What is the parent/infant specialist area of study?

This area of study offers academic and practical training for students who are interested in serving infants, toddlers, and their families. Students graduated from this program are able to received Infant Toddler Credential Certificate Level 5 through the Illinois Network of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (INCCRRA).

What is the child life area of study?

Child life area of study provides the academic training for students who want to become a child life specialist. Child life specialists are professionals who help infants, children, youth and families cope with the stress and uncertainty of illness, injury and treatment. For other additional requirements to become a certified child life specialist, please visit the Association of Child Life Professionals’ website.

What is the leadership area of study?

Students who are interested to become an administrator of a childcare program will receive training in managing and planning a total inclusive program. Students who take several additional required courses are eligible to receive Illinois Director Credential Certificate-Level 2 through the Illinois Network of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (INCCRRA).

Contact Us

Family and Consumer Sciences
118 Wirtz Hall
DeKalb, IL 60115

Kristine Radtke
Program Coordinator

Back to top