About Speech-Language Pathology
Assisting people to speak, understand language, socialize, or even swallow, is what speech-language pathologists do. Expertly preparing you for this rewarding career is what the NIU Speech-Language Pathology program accomplishes.
Here are some of the ways to set yourself on the path to becoming a certified speech-language pathologist through our programs:
- As an undergrad, major in communicative disorders with an emphasis in speech-language pathology. You’ll gain a solid foundation in math, science and psychology, as well as an understanding of normal speech, language and hearing development.
- Pursue your Master of Arts in Communicative Disorders, specializing in speech-language pathology. Conduct research, observe and treat clients in our state-of-the-art Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic and receive excellent preparation for the SLP Praxis exam for professional certification.
- Ace the SLP Praxis exam. For the last three years, our student pass rate on this exam has been 100 percent.
- Get a job as a speech-language pathologist. This shouldn’t be a problem; according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for this career is expected to increase by 23% through 2020.
The mission of the graduate program in speech-language pathology is to further the understanding of human communication and its disorders and to contribute to the advancement of the field of speech-language pathology through clinical practice, research and professional development. The program strives to prepare speech-language pathologists who provide quality services across the lifespan, engage in intellectual discovery and give back to the profession and their communities.
- Speech-Language Pathology
- About Speech-Language Pathology
- Faculty and Staff
- Communicative Disorders (B.S.)
- Specialization in Speech-Language Pathology (M.A.)
- Multicultural Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology
- Careers in Speech-Language Pathology
- Communicative Disorders Student Association (COMDSA)
- Music and Memory
- Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic
- Student Outcome Data
- Criminal Background Check