Janet Olson Ph.D.
- COMD 220: Introduction to Communicative Disorders
- COMD 305: Language Development
- COMD 421: Aural Rehabilitation
- COMD 676: Organization and Planning of Speech, Language, Hearing Services
- Ph.D., Northern Illinois University, Developmental Psychology
- M.A., Northern Illinois University, Speech-Language Pathology
- M.A., University of Illinois, Audiology
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Licensed to practice speech-language pathology in the state of Illinois, Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR)
- Licensed to practice audiology in the state of Illinois, Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR)
- Teacher Licensure: SLP (Teaching), Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- Early language acquisition
- Mother-infant interactions
- Gesture use
- Mothers use of internal state language
Olson, J. and Masur, E.F. (2019). Developmental changes in the frequency and complexity of mothers' internal state utterances across the second year. First Language, 39(4), 462-476.
Loy, M., Masur, E.F., and Olson, J. (2018). Developmental changes in infants' and mothers' pathways to achieving joint attention episodes. Infant Behavior and Development, 50:264-273.
Masur, E.F., Flynn, V., and Olson, J. (2016). Infants' background television exposure during play: Negative relations to the quantity and quality of mothers' speech and infants' vocabulary acquisition. First Language, 36(2), 109-123.
Masur, E.F., Flynn, V. and Olson, J. (2015). The presence of background television during young children's play. Journal of Children and Media. 9(3), 349-367.
Olson, J. and Masur, E.F. (2015). Mothers' labeling responses to infants' gestures predict vocabulary outcomes. Journal of Child Language. 42(6), 1289-1311.
Olson, J. and Masur, E.F. (2013). Mothers respond differently to infants' gestural versus nongestural communicative bids. First Language. 33(4), 372-387.
Olson, J. and Masur, E.F. (2012). Mothers respond differently to infants' familiar versus non-familiar imitations. Journal of Child Language, 39(4), 731-752
Olson, J. and Masur, E.F. (2011). Infants' gestures influence mothers' provision of object, action, and internal state labels. Journal of Child Language, 38, 1028-1054.
Masur, E. and Olson, J. (2008). Mothers' and infants' responses to their partners' spontaneous action and vocal/verbal imitation. Infant Behavior and Development, 31, 704-715.