Maryann Abendroth Ph.D., RN
- NURS 601: Transition to Graduate Level Nursing
- NURS 612: Theoretical Perspectives for Advanced Practice Nursing
- NURS 615: Diversity in Community Nursing Systems for Advanced Nursing Practice
- NURS 621: Foundations in Nursing Education I
- NURS 622: Foundations in Nursing Education II
- UHHS 731: Research Design, Conduct, and Analysis in the Health Sciences II
- Ph.D., University of Florida, Nursing Sciences
- M.S.N., Florida State University
- B.S.N., Florida State University
- B.A., Emory University
Academic / Research Interests
- Informal and formal caregiver health and well-being, risk for strain
- Chronic illness management, disability and caregiving research
- Qualitative (Grounded Theory) and mixed method design
- Instrument development
- Nursing education research (innovative teaching methods)
Awards / Recognitions
Sullivan Award for Excellence in Research. Northern Illinois University, College of Health and Human Sciences (2017).
Maura C. Ryan Gerontological Nursing Research Scholar, American Nurses Foundation (2015).
Daniel, M., & Abendroth, M., & Erlen, J.A. (2017, March). Barriers and motives to physical activity in south Asian Indian immigrant women. Western Journal of Nursing Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945917697218.
Abendroth, M. (2016). Psychometric testing and modification of the Parkinson's Disease Caregiver Strain Risk Screen. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 24(2), 281-295. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/1061-37188.8.131.521
Abendroth, M., Greenblum, C.A., & Gray, J.A. (2014). The value of peer-led support groups among caregivers of persons with Parkinson's disease. Holistic Nursing Practice, 28(1), 48-54. DOI 10.1097/HNP.0000000000000004
Abendroth, M., & Graven, L. (2013). Integrating care of older adults into the nursing curriculum: A case exemplar project. Journal of Nursing Education. 52(9), 529-532. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20130819-06.
Abendroth, M., & Figley, C. (2013). Vicarious trauma and the therapeutic relationship. In D. Murphy, S. Joseph, & B. Harris (Eds.), Trauma and the therapeutic relationship: Approaches to process and practice. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Abendroth, M., Lutz, B.J., & Young, M.E. (2012). Family caregivers' decision process to institutionalize persons with Parkinson's disease: A grounded theory study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 49(4), 445-454. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.10.003.
Abendroth, M., & Flannery, J. (2006). Predicting the risk of compassion fatigue: A study of hospice nurses. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 8(6), 346-356.
Abendroth, M. (2015). Caregiver Strain Risk as a Predictor of Physical Health among Informal Caregivers of Persons with Parkinson's Disease. American Nurses Foundation
Abendroth, M. (June 2013). Testing the Measurement Model-Data Fit of a Theory-Based Instrument that Measures Risk for Strain among Informal Caregivers of Persons with Parkinson’s Disease. The Joan E. Wood Award for Faculty Research.
Abendroth, M. (2011), Developing a Tool to Measure Caregiver Strain in a Population of Informal Caregivers of Persons with Parkinson's Disease. Florida State University.
Abendroth, M. (Jan 2009) Understanding Caregivers' Decision Process When Choosing to Institutionalize a Relative with Parkinson's Disease. Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation.