- School of Allied Health and Communicative Disorders
- Rehabilitation Services and Rehabilitation Counseling
- Graduate Program
M.S. Admission Requirements
If you're ready to pursue your graduate degree in rehabilitation counseling, you don’t have to wait. We accept applications and supplemental materials for the fall, spring and summer semesters.
- Summer admission - February 1
- Fall admission - June 1
- Spring admission -September 1
- Graduate school application
- Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions
- Official transcripts are required once you are admitted
- Personal goals statement
- What are the specific reasons you wish to pursue the graduate program in Rehabilitation Counseling at NIU?
- What are your career goals and how does earning degree in Rehabilitation Counseling relate to those career goals?
- What steps have you taken or will you take to make sure the your academic performance in our program is exemplary?
- Two letters of recommendation
After the deadline, the rehabilitation counseling admissions committee will select qualified applicants to participate in pre-admission interviews. Committee members will look for your ability to demonstrate:
- Relevance of career goals/commitment to working with people with disabilities
- Aptitude for graduate-level study
- Potential success in forming effective counseling relationships
- Respect for cultural difference
- Openness to self-examination/willingness to take constructive feedback.